Minimum Wage Ordinance

Student Affairs Office Career and Internships Career Resources Corner Minimum Wage Ordinance

Minimum Wage Ordinance

The Statutory Minimum Wage (SMW) has come into force since 1 May 2011. However, there are some exemptions for specified student interns and work experience students during a period of exempt student employment under the Minimum Wage Ordinance. If you are employed with remunerations below the minimum wage, your employer may ask you/ the University for a Confirmation of “Student Interns” or “Work Experience Students” status.
For details of the definition and requirements of the exemptions, please refer to the Statutory Minimum Wage : Notes for Student Employees and Employers published by the Labour Department.

Confirm your student status for “Work Experience Student”

If students are required to certify “Work Experience Students” status (normally for non credit-bearing employment or not a compulsory or elective component of the programme), please follow the steps below for application.
  1. Click on Online Application Form and follow the instruction.
  2. Fill in your personal information in the Specimen Confirmation of student status for “work experience student” (Fillable PDF Form)(Text Alternative) (PDF) and upload the pdf onto the platform
  3. Upload employment proof onto the platform (such as Offer letter/ Confirmation email), which should include
    • Company Name;
    • Job Position Offered; and
    • Employment Period (with Start Date and End Date)
The application will be reviewed within 7 working days. Student Affairs Office may contact the students through email or phone for any follow-ups.
Please be reminded that under the Ordinance, “work experience student” and his/her employer may agree to treat a continuous period of up to 59 days as exempt student employment, i.e. 59 days is the maximum day of exempt student employment and the statutory minimum wage ordinance applies from your 60th day of employment.

Confirm your student status for “Student Intern”

If students are required to certifyStudent Interns” status (normally for credit-bearing employment or practicum or a compulsory or elective component of the programmes), please contact respective academic school office for details of arrangements. Please refer to here for the contact of your respective academic school office.
For more details about SMW, please go to the Labour Department's website [LINK].