Course Coordinator: Hau Wing-hong, MSc (PolyU); MSc (HKU); PGDFA (HKU); CMILT
You are advised to have already studied:
– BUS B170; or
– BUS B171 and either BUS B172 or BUS B272; or
– BUS B270; or
– BUS B273.
This course aims to provide learners with fundamental knowledge of operations management. It introduces the basic skills in the development of operational strategies and procedures for improving productivity and operation efficiency. It also explains the uses of essential tools for operations management and the underlying methodologies to deal with the problems of designing, producing, and delivering goods and services.
This course covers the following topics:
- Operations management and strategy
- Quality management
- Design of products, services, processes and jobs
- Manufacturing and service processes
- Process selection and facility layout
- Forecasting and project management
- Statistical quality control
- Inventory management and scheduling
- Sales and operations planning
- Material requirements planning
- Waiting line management
There will be eight three-hour tutorials. Tutors on duty will provide students with individual help.
There are three assignments and one examination. Students must use word processing software (such as Microsoft Word) to prepare the assignments, and submit the assignments via the Online Learning Environment (OLE).
A custom textbook will be provided.