Course Coordinator: Dr Tess Pak, BA (CUHK), PCPsych MPhil PhD (HKU), CPsychol (BPS), Registered industrial-organizational psychologist (DIOP, HKPS)
You are advised to have already studied PSYCA212 or PSYCA212C.
This course aims to introduce the scientific study of personality in psychology. It will cover the major theoretical explanations of the making and development of personality, the various investigation and measurement strategies, and the current issues in the field.
This course will cover the basic approach as well as the dominant theories in personality psychology. It will cover the following topics:
- What is personality?
- How is personality studied and assessed?
- Psychoanalytic aspects of personality
- Neo-analytic and ego aspects of personality
- Biological aspects of personality
- Behavioural and learning aspects of personality
- Cognitive aspects of personality
- Trait aspects of personality
- Humanistic, existential and positive aspects of personality
- Where will we find personality?
Ten two-hour face-to-face tutorials on weekdays and three two-hour day schools at weekends.
There will be five written assignments and a final examination. Assignments are required to be submitted electronically into the course’s learning platform, namely via the Online Learning Environment (OLE).
A custom textbook, PSYC A319 Theories of Personality Psychology and a study guide.