Course Coordinator: Dr Agol Ho, BSc (HKU); MSc, MPhil (HKUST); PhD (SUFE)
Course Developer: Bob W H Leung, Consultant
You are advised to have already studied ECON A232.
The course aims to provide learners with essential knowledge of various financial markets. It analyses and interprets relevant problems relating to the development and current issues of the financial markets in Hong Kong.
The course covers the following topics:
- Financial markets — money and debt markets
- Financial markets — stock markets
- Financial markets — markets for derivatives
- Exchange rates and foreign exchange markets
- International monetary and financial systems
There will be five two-hour tutorials and one two-hour surgery.
There are two assignments and one examination. Students must use word processing software (such as Microsoft Word) to prepare the assignments, and submit the assignments via the Online Learning Environment (OLE).
Mishkin, F S and Eakins, S G (2018) Financial Markets and Institutions, 9th edn, Global edn, Pearson Education Limited.