Economic Analysis in Public Policy

Home Admissions Course Information Economic Analysis in Public Policy

ECON A827F

More information: Course Guide
Economic Analysis in Public Policy

ECON A827F

More information: Course Guide

Economic Analysis in Public Policy

Course Start Date
N/A
Course Level
N/A
Length in Terms
N/A
Credits
N/A
Language
N/A
Fees ($) (including lab fees)
N/A
Future Terms
Quota and Schedule
Course Start Date
Course LevelLength in TermsCredits
Language
Fees ($) (including lab fees)
Future Terms
N/A
N/AN/AN/A
N/A
N/A

Course Coordinator: Yuka Chan, BA (Simon Fraser), MSc (CityU)

Aims
This course aims at providing an economic analysis of the role of the government and the formulation of public policies. The course starts with an examination of the different perspectives on the role of the government. It is then followed by discussions and analyses of welfare economics, the public expenditure theory, the taxation theory, and public policies on education, healthcare, social insurance, welfare programmes and technology.

Contents

  • Introduction: Government and public policy
  • Externalities, public goods and welfare economics
  • Economics of taxation
  • Economics of government expenditure
  • Social security and unemployment insurance
  • Healthcare financing and environment protection
  • Economics of welfare programmes
  • Selected topics in public policy

Assessment
There will be a mid-term test and an oral presentation, together accounting for 40% of the total course score. The final examination will account for the remaining 60%.

Set Book(s)
Rosen, H S and Gayer, T (2014) Public Finance, 10th edn, New York: McGraw-Hill.