Dr Simon CHEUNG King-sing 張景勝博士
BSc CityU, PhD CityU, MPA HKU
CEng, CSci, CITP, FBCS, FCMI, FIMA, FIET, FHKIE, FHKCS
Dr. Simon K.S. Cheung obtained his BSc and PhD in Computer Science from the City University of Hong Kong, and his Master of Public Administration with Distinction from the University of Hong Kong. A Chartered Engineer and Chartered Scientist by profession, Dr. Cheung has been admitted as a Chartered IT Professional Fellow of the British Computer Society, Fellow of the Chartered Management Institute, Fellow of the Institute of Mathematics and its Applications, Fellow of the Institution of Engineering and Technology, Fellow of the Hong Kong Institution of Engineers, Fellow of the Hong Kong Computer Society, and also Senior Member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers.
Dr. Cheung is currently the Director of IT in the Hong Kong Metropolitan University, overseeing the university IT services for teaching, learning, research and administration. He has been working in the higher education sector (with the Hong Kong Metropolitan University, the Open University of Hong Kong, the University of Hong Kong, the Hong Kong Baptist University, and the Chinese University of Hong Kong) for over 30 years in various administrative capacities, mainly in IT and educational technology, while also assuming some academic duties such as course development, teaching and research. He has successfully led a number of key initiatives and projects, pertaining to enterprise systems, business process reengineering, campus IT infrastructure, electronic library, learning commons, blended learning, academic analytics and student advising. He played a pivotal role in implementing ERP systems in the Open University of Hong Kong, and deploying blended learning in SPACE, the University of Hong Kong, which won prestigious awards such as the Hong Kong ICT Award (Best Business Solutions) Special Award.
Dr. Cheung is active in research, with 200 publications in the form of books, book chapters, journal articles and conference papers in two distinct areas, namely, innovation and technology in education, and software and systems engineering, and has been serving in advisory board and editorial board for a number of international journals. He received the Outstanding Research Publication Award from the Open University of Hong Kong in 2016. Other awards in recognition of his achievement include the First Class Achievement in Computer Science and IT from the Shenzhen Science and Technology Association in 2016, the Outstanding CIO Award from the Hong Kong IT Joint Council in 2015, and an Honouree for IT Excellence, CIO Award from CIO Asia in 2015. He has been listed in the Who's Who in Science and Engineering since 2007.
- Member, International Advisory Board, International Journal of Educational Technology in Higher Education, Springer (SSCI, Scopus)
- Editor, Innovation and Technology in Education Section, SN Computer Science, Springer (Scopus)
- Associate Editor, Australasian Journal of Educational Technology (SSCI, Scopus)
- Associate Editor, Frontiers in Education (ESCI, Scopus)
- Associate Editor, Frontiers in Computer Science (ESCI)
- Vice Chairman, International Hybrid Learning Society
- Honorary Consultant on e-Learning, Beijing Open University
- Honorary Advisor on IT Services, Hong Kong Academy for Performing Arts
- Member, Steering Committee, Joint University Computer Centre, Hong Kong
- Member, Accreditation Committee for Computer Science Programmes, Hong Kong Institution of Engineers
Modified Date: 05 Aug, 2022