Dr. Wang Weichao is an Assistant Professor at the Lee Shau Kee School of Business and Administration, Hong Kong Metropolitan University. He is also a Research Fellow at the Center for Banking and Finance Research in Rio (CBFR), Fundação Getulio Vargas (FGV). He holds a PhD and MSc in Finance from EBAPE, Fundação Getulio Vargas (FGV). Before starting his academic voyage, he served for a French corporation as a department manager and internal trainer in Xi'an and Beijing, China, and then for an international NGO in Massachusetts, USA.
His research has been published in leading academic journals, e.g., Journal of Financial Intermediation and Journal of Banking & Finance. His research expertise centres on Banking, Financial Intermediation, Sustainable Finance, Derivatives, Labour and Finance, and Household and Real Estate Finance. His work has been presented at several international conferences and seminars, such as the Financial Management Association (FMA) Annual Meeting, Southern Finance Association (SFA) Annual Meeting, American Economic Association (AEA) Annual Meeting (Poster Session), Brazilian Finance Conference (EBFin), Conference on Banking Development in Chile, Conference on Financial Stability and Sustainability in Peru, and Research Seminars at the IMF Research Department, Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC), Georgetown University, Central Bank of Brazil, SKEMA Business School in Sophia-Antipolis, France, University of Hamburg in Germany and FGV EBAPE in Brazil.
His teaching interests focus on Banking, Corporate Finance, Sustainable Finance, and Statistics, Causal Analysis Methods and Financial Programming. He also serves as an ad hoc referee for several academic journals in the field of Finance, such as Applied Economics, Applied Financial Economics, Brazilian Administration Review (BAR) and Finance Research Letters. In his spare time, he is an enthusiast of hiking, travelling and language. He is fluent in English (working language), Mandarin and Portuguese, while learning Cantonese, Spanish and French. Further information can be found in his Personal Homepage and Google Scholar Page below.
Teaching Areas & Research Interests
- Financial Intermediation
- Sustainable Finance
- Labour, Household and Finance
Academic & Professional Experience
- Research Fellow (2022/07-Present) at the Center for Banking and Finance Research in Rio (CBFR), EBAPE, Fundação Getulio Vargas (FGV).
Ad Hoc Referee Service:
Applied Economics, Applied Financial Economics, Brazilian Administration Review (BAR), Finance Research Letters.
- Postgraduate Certificate in Portuguese as a Foreign Language (2016/03-2016/12) at CELIN, Federal University of Paraná (UFPR), Brazil.
- Visiting Development Instructor (2014/08-2016/01) at One World Center, Massachusetts, USA.
- Department Manager and Internal Trainer (2011/12-2014/06) at Oxylane Holding Group, Xi'an and Beijing, China.
- Norden, L., Mesquita, D., and Wang, W., 2021. COVID-19, Policy Interventions and Credit: The Brazilian Experience. Journal of Financial Intermediation 48, 100933.
- Behr, P., and Wang, W., 2020. The (un)intended Effects of Government Bailouts: the Impact of TARP on the Interbank Market and Bank Risk-taking. Journal of Banking & Finance 116 (C), 105820.
Link to personal homepage
Link to Google Scholar page
Modified Date: 03 Apr, 2023