Antony Huen is Research Assistant Professor in the School of Arts and Social Sciences at Hong Kong Metropolitan University (HKMU). He has published on Hong Kong literature in English, contemporary British poetry, poetry and the visual arts, creative writing teaching and practice, popular song lyrics, and poets in the digital age. Before joining HKMU, he was Lecturer at the CUHK, where he taught a group of English Literature and Language courses for both undergraduate and postgraduate students.
His works appear in leading poetry magazines (Dark Horse, Poetry Wales, PN Review), academic journals (Early Popular Visual Culture, English: Journal of the English Association, Humanities, Wasafiri: International Contemporary Writing, Women: A Cultural Review, World Literature Today), edited books (The Best New British and Irish Poets 2017, Exploring Creative Writing, Voice & Verse 21/21 Anthology), and other places (Cha: An Asian Literary Journal, Hong Kong Review of Books, Hong Kong Studies, The Oxonian Review).
For a full record of his work, please visit his website.
- Women Poetry Prize - Silver Medal, Women: A Cultural Review (2023)
- Outstanding Research Publication Award - Bronze Prize, Katie Shu Sui Pui Charitable Trust, HKMU (2023)
- Research Achievement Award, HKMU (2022-23)
- Essay Prize, Wasafiri: International Contemporary Writing (2022)
- Doctoral Fellowship, Humanities Research Centre, University of York
- International Postgraduate Scholarship, University of Birmingham
Academic & Professional Experience
Funded Research Projects
- Ekphrasis in Hong Kong Poetry in English: Late 1970s to Early 2020s. Principal Investigator, Faculty Development Scheme, Research Grants Council, 01/2023-12/2024, UGC/FDS16/H02/22. [HKD694,470]
- The Institutionalization of Creative Writing in English in Hong Kong. Principal Investigator, Research and Development Funding for the School of Arts and Social Sciences, HKMU, 2022, R1054. [HKD59,988]
- Expanding the Academic Vocabulary of University Students: An eLearning Initiative. Co-investigator, Courseware Development Grant, Academic IT Steering Committee (AITSC), CUHK, 2013-14. [HKD85,000]
- Huen, Antony, and Jason Eng Hun Lee. 'Institutionalising a Locally-Bound Discourse: The Case for English-Language Creative Writing Teaching and Practice in Hong Kong.' Hong Kong Discourse, edited by Magdalen Ki and Wayne Liang, Brill, under revision.
- Huen, Antony. ‘Texts for Teaching Poetry Writing for Language Learning.’ Exploring Creative Writing, edited by Graeme Harper, Cambridge Scholars, 2016, pp. 133-146.
- Huen, Antony. 'Transculturalism, Transformation and the Visual Arts in Contemporary British Women's Poetry'. Women: A Cultural Review [BHI], Mar 2023. Taylor & Francis, doi: 10.1080/09574042.2023.2183623. [The Women Poetry Prize]
- Huen, Antony. 'The Hong Kong Moment: A Diasporic Poetics with the British Poetics'. PN Review [MLA], vol. 49, no. 3, Jan-Feb 2023, pp. 59-63. ProQuest, proquest.com/scholarly-journals/hong-kong-moment-diasporic-poetics-within-british/docview/2781734550/se-2.
- Havolli, Dan, Antony Huen, and Sarah Pyke. Review of Patrick Collier's Teaching English Literature in the Real World (Bloomsbury). English: Journal of the English Association [A&HCI, BHI, MLA], vol. 71, no. 273, Jul. 2022, pp. 175-187. Oxford Journals, doi: 10.1093/english/efac014. [English Roundtable Book Review]
- Huen, Antony. Review of Painting Words: Aesthetics and the Relationship between Image and Text (Routledge). Early Popular Visual Culture [A&HCI, BHI], vol. 20, no. 1, Jul. 2022, pp. 85-87. Taylor & Francis, doi: 10.1080/17460654.2021.2001735.
- Huen, Antony. 'Chinese and City Aesthetics: A Conversation with Jennifer Wong'. World Literature Today [A&HCI, MLA], vol. 96, no. 3, May 2022, pp. 49-53. Project Muse, doi: 10.1353/wlt.2022.0121.
- Huen, Antony. 'The ‘Old Hong Kong’ and ‘A Gold-Sifting Bird’: Hong Kong and Chinese Ekphrasis in Contemporary British Poetry.' Wasafiri [A&HCI, BHI, MLA], vol. 37, no. 1, Feb. 2022, pp. 13-21. Taylor & Francis, doi: 10.1080/02690055.2022.1999653. [Essay Prize Winner 2021]
- Huen, Antony. 'Cantonese Songs of Experience.' Hong Kong Review of Books, Sept. 2021, hkrbooks.com/2021/09/29/hkrb-cantonese-songs-of-experience.
- Huen, Antony. 'Odes to Touch.' The Oxonian Review, Aug. 2020, oxonianreview.com/articles/odes-to-touch.
- Huen, Antony. 'Photographs, Photography and the Photographer: A Conversation with George Szirtes.' Wasafiri [A&HCI, BHI, MLA], vol. 34, no. 3, Aug. 2019, pp. 59-63. Taylor & Francis, doi: 10.1080/02690055.2019.1613016.
- Huen, Antony. 'Tamar Yoseloff as Ekphrasist, and Her Hidden Sweetheart.' Humanities [ESCI], vol. 8, no. 2 (Article 77), Apr 2019, pp. 1-10. MDPI, doi: 10.3390/h8020077.
- Huen, Antony. 'Questions of the PhD.' Hong Kong Studies, vol. 1, no. 2, Sept. 2018, pp. 179-183, cup.cuhk.edu.hk/chinesepress/journal/HKS1.2/HKS1.2_179-183.pdf.
Selected Professional & Community Services
- MA Supervisor - Department of English, CUHK (2020-2022)
- Guest Speaker - Cúirt International Festival of Literature (2017); Dialogues for Artists in a Changing World (2021); Hong Kong International Literary Festival (2021, 2023); One City One Book Hong Kong (2020); Poetics of Home – A Chinese Diaspora Poetry Festival (2021); National Association of Writers in Education Conference (2023)
- Workshop Speaker - Hoi Ping Chamber of Commerce Secondary School (2013); Maryknoll Convent School (2018); St. Mark's School (2018); Law Ting Pong Secondary School (2019)
- Adjudicator - Sing Tao Inter-School Debating Competition (2013-Present); ELTU Creative Writing Competition (2022, 2023); Hong Kong Arts Symposium Competition (2023)
- Consultant - United College Toastmasters Club, CUHK (2012-Present); Department of Literature and Cultural Studies, the Education University of Hong Kong (2021)
- Reviewer - Wasafiri; Hong Kong Studies
Link to personal homepage
Modified Date: 22 Mar, 2023