Course Coordinator: Dr Liu Kam Pui, BSc(Hons) (HKU); MBA (Surrey); DBA (Macquarie), FSTLA; CMILT
Course Developers: Mike Lai Kee Hung, HKMU; and Prof. Alan Au Kai Ming, HKMU
You are advised to have already studied:
BUS B170 or BUS B171 and BUS B172/B272 or BUS B270 or BUS B273
This course aims to provide learners with a fundamental knowledge of logistics management. It introduces the basic skills to develop logistics strategies and logistics organization procedures that will improve customer service through improved inbound and outbound logistics. The course also explains the uses of essential tools for logistics management, and the underlying methodologies to deal with the need for integration of logistics activities across units and firm boundaries.
The course covers the following topics:
- Logistics role and mission
- Logistics operations integration
- Supply chain relationship
- Logistics customer service
- Logistics information systems
- Forecasting logistics material requirements
- Inventory management
- Packaging and material handling
- Transportation systems
- Warehousing distribution and channel management
- Procurement function and scheduling decisions
- Organization for logistics resources
- Logistics administration and auditing
- Controlling for effective logistics performance
There will be four three-hour tutorials.
There are two assignments and one examination. Students must use word processing software (such as Microsoft Word) to prepare the assignments, and submit the assignments via the Online Learning Environment (OLE).
Pienaar, W J and Vogt, J J (2012) Business Logistics Management: A Value Chain Perspective, 4th edn, Oxford University Press.