Course Coordinator: To be announced
You are advised to have already studied MGT B240.
The course aims to develop students’ knowledge of the role, functions and range of activities undertaken by a human resource (HR) department within an organization. It also aims to provide students with specialized understanding of three key HR functions: (1) employment relations and employment law, (2) training and development, and (3) performance and compensation management.
The course covers the following topics:
- HRM and its strategic role
- HR planning and recruitment
- Labour relations, labour unions, and collective bargaining
- Legal conditions of employment in Hong Kong
- Planning, designing, and evaluating training programmes
- Performance management and appraisal techniques
- Designing compensation plans
There will be eleven two-hour tutorials.
There are three assignments and one examination. Students must use Microsoft Word to prepare the assignments and submit the assignments via the Online Learning Environment (OLE).
A custom textbook will be provided.